Skip to main content

Witches of the Week #11: Quinn The Brain



1- Where is the band from and what's the best thing to do there?

We're from Houston, Texas. There's not a whole lot to do here outside of drinking, but we do have some cool stuff to see. Before this religious nut burned down the building, we had one of the coolest shops here called The Wilde Collection. It was filled with oddities, curiosities, art, taxidermy, furniture, gifts, etc. It was all very spooky and dark. I loved it! It's now temporarily closed because of the fire, but I hope they come back because that place is magical.

2- What does your name stand for and what was the runner up?

The band name actually comes from an episode of Daria. I was watching the show one night, and I thought the name sounded cool. The episode itself is great. Daria's world comes crashing down after her younger "cooler" sister has a smart moment causing her to question her identity which was up until that moment the "smart" girl. Glenn Eichler and Susie Lewis Lynn did an amazing job with that show. It's very real. I keep hoping they'll do a live action. I think our music would go so well with the show—now that's the dream! We had a few runner-up names, but they’re not worth mentioning.

3- Describe your sound using a movie title.

Oh that's a tough one! But if we had to choose, we'd go with Tank Girl. I think the title actually kind of says it all.



4- Describe each band member using a meal.

Billy would be a cheese pizza because of all his dad jokes and because he’s always trying to bribe me with pizza when he knows I can’t eat the stuff. Steve would be sweet and sour chicken because you never know how he's feeling. Some days he’s super nice and some days he’s coming at you with jokes that burn. I would be pot roast because I’m always cooking up some kind of a plan, and I tend to take too long on everything. Billy’s version of this was much more colorful by the way, but I decided to spare y’all!

5- Name 3 bands who would headline your dream fest?

There’s so many bands that come to mind! Recently I’ve been on a Queenadreena kick so I would love to see them live, Babes in Toyland is always a must, and I’ve been dying to see Veruca Salt so that makes three! I had a few chances to catch Veruca Salt when they put out Ghost Notes (which is great by the way) but they never toured down South. I assumed they would since they kept adding shows, but next time I’m just going to have to go to them. I’m still hoping to catch them post pandemic. Who knows, maybe we’ll get crazy lucky and get to open up for them one day? A girl can dream!

6- For or not being described as "female fronted"?

It depends really. I tend to listen to more bands with a female lead so using hashtags like “female fronted” helps me find new music and I like that aspect. Or if I see a show that’s advertising a female-fronted line up, it does peak my interest. But I don’t like being grouped with other female-fronted bands just because we’re all female and nothing else. I think that’s when it becomes frustrating—when it’s treated like a genre or a gimmick.

7- Are you signed on a label and why?

No we’re not signed on a label, and we’re not exactly rushing to be on one either. Our creative freedom means everything to us so we want to continue developing our sound and who we are. I feel like we’ve barely scratched the surface. There’s so much stuff we want to do! But more than anything, we just want to record and release more music on our terms.

8- What's the most punk thing you've seen on tour/in a show?

It would probably be the time we played with this communist punk band called Lenin. That show was nuts. The singer was dressed like Rob Halford from Judas Priest and had an operatic approach to his vocals. Their songs were about politics and in between each one, the singer would jump into the audience and whisper political statistics into your ear. As the show went on, the singer stripped on stage until he was in his undies and then grabbed his guitarist and made out with him hardcore as they were playing. He then revealed a wooden sword and beat the bassist with it pretty well. For the finale, he pulled out a fluorescent light and smashed it across the floor. It was probably the greatest local show I’d seen and only a few people witnessed it.

9- The best punk album of all time and why?

Ok, if I’m going to choose the best punk album of all time, I’m going to have to pick something from the late ‘70s original punk era because you can’t get anymore punk than that! And that’s easy because I really love The Adverts’ Crossing the Red Sea. There’s so many amazing songs on that album. No Time To Be 21 has been a favorite for a long time. I also love Great British Mistake, New Church, Safety in Numbers and of course Gary Gilmore’s Eyes. I’m starting to realize that I love bands that have strong singers who aren’t afraid to show some personality in their voice.

10- What's the best way to support your band?

The best way to support us is to listen to our music and buy our merch. Our music is streaming everywhere so it’s easy to find, and we’re actually in the process of building a web store now so you’ll be able to buy our merch online soon. Until then, you can always hit is up through social media for any CDs, shirts, buttons, stickers, etc.   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview w/ Jennifer "JJ" Leigh ( THE DEVOTCHKAS)

In 1996, three girls from New-York got together to form The Devotchkas . A band that would go on to become one of the most talked about all-girl oï punk of the scene at the time. A time that was long before smartphones and social media, when bands only had web pages on Geocities and Angelfire, which is where we first heard about them. Because in 2001, after Jennifer Leigh, (better known has JJ ) took vocal duties, the band released an iconic album, that was not only our introduction to them, but to how much ass a women can kick when they play badass music. The next year they went on hiatus, and we never heard about them. The whole industry evolved, but for us they remained legendary in their own way.  Fast foward 20 years later, the same line-up that released that iconic album, decided it was time to get back in action. This weekend, the gang is set to play at the C.Y. Fest in Los Angeles, not once, but twice, and even though we can't attend, we couldn't be more exited at the i

THE PHOTO PASS with MIHAELA PETRESCU

When did you first pick up a camera and what motivated you to start photography? I picked up a camera at around 4 years old. My mom did some photography when i was young, so I grew up with a camera in my hands. Did you study or are you self taught? I studied in cinema/video/communications at Dawson College, then I went to Concordia University in the same field. I never actually studied photography but I had a lot of photo classes. Do you remember the first show you ever shot and how it went? My uncle played in bands since I was really young. The first show I shot was my uncle's first show with his new band. I was around 13 years old. The stress was real! I think I had one of those point and shoot cameras. I also remember my first show for a media; it was Septicflesh at Café Campus. How did you know you wanted to do concert photography and what do you love the most about it? The first concert I ever saw was of Cher . I was maybe 8 or 9 years old and I vividly remember watching the

THE 90 BEST SINGLES OF 2022

Alright so here's our final list for 2022. We've discovered so many amazing bands this year but what we enjoy the most is seeing bands that are still active, recording and putting new noise out. A lot of them are releasing singles now, which has become almost a standard considering what the industry has become. It's an awesome way to get your name out there fast, so don't wait to record a full album or even EP. We wanna hear you, so just go ahead and record a song! We'll definitely look for it. So here are 90 songs that came across our radar this year. Featuring some of the most badass women, queers and non-binary people, of course ;) Oh and for those of you who don't have the time to browse through all these links, here is what you were waiting for...our epic 2022 playlist, featuring all our best albums, EPs and singles of the year. Clocking at around 11 hours and presenting 203 bands, we think you'll def find something you like in there. Enjoy! THE playlis