Skip to main content

BREAK IT DOWN #2: "SELF-TITLED" by PASSIONLESS POINTLESS

 

with singer/guitarist Evelyn

1. What does this album mean to you?

It means everything to me. The album is the first full-length release of our band and also the first album I have ever recorded although I have been playing in bands since I was a teenager. I remember how I was sitting at home, writing all the guitar riffs and lyrics, and now we have turned them into songs and people around the world can listen to them, it’s incredible.

2. Why self-titled?

We have always referred to the record as ‘the album’. The band name ‘Passionless Pointless’ already tells a lot about our approach to music. All of the songs speak of great passion for both playing music and reflecting upon personal relationships, passionless = pointless.

3. Where was it recorded and who produced it?

We recorded the album with sound engineer Matti (El Atea) who I had already worked with and who I trusted, so I insisted on hiring him. He suggested recording at Moth Cellar Studios Berlin, a small private rehearsal space on a car repair site in East Berlin, that you can easily turn into a recording studio. The record is self-produced, meaning we had a very clear vision of what it should sound like. We wanted the album to sound raw, heavy and noisy and both early 90s old-school and modern at the same time.

4. One moment you will never forget during its recording?

Oh, the album was recorded within five days in August, the hottest days of the year. It was the first time we spent so much time together as a band, which was a lot of fun. We asked a friend to shoot some video footage to document the whole process. I think you can see how much fun recording an album and playing in a band can be when you’re watching our music video for ‘The Joy of Missing Out’.

5. Break it down:

The Joy of Missing Out
We chose ‘The Joy of Missing Out’ as the opening track because it throws you right into what we do. We play noisy punk rock with a grunge sound and an attitude. The message of ‘Joy’ is “Fuck what they think”. I wrote the song when I realized that I don’t need the approval of certain people in a certain scene. I think we should rather focus on building communities and support each other.

Great Art
‘Great Art’ is such a fun song to play, I love its energy and the dynamics. Riot Grrrl meets grunge music. I wrote it at a time when I was very upset about the status quo in arts and music and I was reading a lot of feminist underground literature.

Heavy Song
‘Heavy Song’ is dedicated to my friends who have suffered from depression. Talking about mental health is very important to me. It might not always be easy to support your friends in difficult times, and often frustrating, but asking what they need and just trying to be there is a good start.

 
  Married Alive
This song we called ‘the doom song’ as a working title. I like the noisy character of it and its heaviness. It is about an abusive relationship and dealing with the consequences you’re facing even after you were able to escape it. The title was actually inspired by The Simpsons. In one episode, Marge is reading a book called ‘Married Alive, A Wife-Saving Guide’. You know, holding on to your sense of humor can see you through difficult times.

Surviving My Sobriety
Have you ever stopped drinking alcohol for an extended period of time? The things you realize then might notalways be so pleasant…

When I Was Straight
Our bassist Kate wrote this one. Can you believe she wrote it on her bass? It’s one of my favorite songs on thealbum. A classic piece of uplifting, upbeat punk rock. Or queercore? The song starts off very tongue-in-cheek (“When I was straight / No one told me it was just a phase”) and the chorus sounds like satire, but then it gets more serious in the last verse. The song leaves you thinking about the privilege you have.

Cross Em Out
‘Cross Em Out’ is a song about walking away from people who don’t care about you. It’s about the moment you’re telling yourself, “No, not anymore” and move on. Then, looking back, everything that seemed important once looks ridiculous with a different mindset.

Another Dinner Ruined
The title and also the lyrics were inspired by the essay ‘Feminist Killjoys’, by Sara Ahmed, feminist writer and independent scholar. It describes the killjoy moment that you may know. A relative’s birthday or a gathering with old friends you haven’t seen in a while, all very nice until someone says something problematic and everyone joins in and agrees. You seem like the only person seeing the problem and now you decide to point it out – “another dinner, ruined”.

5. What's the best way to support your band?

Tell all your friends we exist.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview w/ Jennifer "JJ" Leigh ( THE DEVOTCHKAS)

In 1996, three girls from New-York got together to form The Devotchkas . A band that would go on to become one of the most talked about all-girl oï punk of the scene at the time. A time that was long before smartphones and social media, when bands only had web pages on Geocities and Angelfire, which is where we first heard about them. Because in 2001, after Jennifer Leigh, (better known has JJ ) took vocal duties, the band released an iconic album, that was not only our introduction to them, but to how much ass a women can kick when they play badass music. The next year they went on hiatus, and we never heard about them. The whole industry evolved, but for us they remained legendary in their own way.  Fast foward 20 years later, the same line-up that released that iconic album, decided it was time to get back in action. This weekend, the gang is set to play at the C.Y. Fest in Los Angeles, not once, but twice, and even though we can't attend, we couldn't be more exited at the i

THE PHOTO PASS with MIHAELA PETRESCU

When did you first pick up a camera and what motivated you to start photography? I picked up a camera at around 4 years old. My mom did some photography when i was young, so I grew up with a camera in my hands. Did you study or are you self taught? I studied in cinema/video/communications at Dawson College, then I went to Concordia University in the same field. I never actually studied photography but I had a lot of photo classes. Do you remember the first show you ever shot and how it went? My uncle played in bands since I was really young. The first show I shot was my uncle's first show with his new band. I was around 13 years old. The stress was real! I think I had one of those point and shoot cameras. I also remember my first show for a media; it was Septicflesh at Café Campus. How did you know you wanted to do concert photography and what do you love the most about it? The first concert I ever saw was of Cher . I was maybe 8 or 9 years old and I vividly remember watching the

THE 90 BEST SINGLES OF 2022

Alright so here's our final list for 2022. We've discovered so many amazing bands this year but what we enjoy the most is seeing bands that are still active, recording and putting new noise out. A lot of them are releasing singles now, which has become almost a standard considering what the industry has become. It's an awesome way to get your name out there fast, so don't wait to record a full album or even EP. We wanna hear you, so just go ahead and record a song! We'll definitely look for it. So here are 90 songs that came across our radar this year. Featuring some of the most badass women, queers and non-binary people, of course ;) Oh and for those of you who don't have the time to browse through all these links, here is what you were waiting for...our epic 2022 playlist, featuring all our best albums, EPs and singles of the year. Clocking at around 11 hours and presenting 203 bands, we think you'll def find something you like in there. Enjoy! THE playlis