Skip to main content

INTERVIEW WITH STEPHANIE COLE (THE LAST MILE/ANSWERS)


The Last Mile is a hardcore punk band from Montreal, who just released the first single off their debut full length album, "Respect The Frequency", so we thought it was the perfect time to talk with bassist Stephanie Cole, to learn more about the band and where they are from.

Enjoy!


The most recent incarnation of The Last Mile made it's debut last year, with the release of the 7", "II". When did the project started and how did you join it?

The Last Mile first existed in 2015 as Chris Snelgrove and The Last Mile. I met Chris, who is the guitarist/vocalist in TLM, in 2015 when I was on tour out here from B.C., where I'm originally from. Chris booked our show in Montreal. In summer of 2016, Chris asked me to join his band for a tour of Mexico and Costa Rica later that year. I had never been offered anything like that before! I was extremely psyched and I obviously said yes. I only knew Chris for one day and I didn't even meet the drummer until arriving in Mexico. It was a whirlwind trip and rad tour. Chris and I started dating after that and once I moved to Montreal in 2017, we began writing music together so we dropped his name and became The Last Mile.

What was your personnal music journey before joining the band?

For 5 years I played in a folk pop band called The Shrugs. It was my first real band and I had life changing experiences with them. After that, I joined a friend, Jesse LeBourdais for about two years. We toured as Jesse LeBourdais and The Long Winter. In Montreal, I play in another band called Answers.

Who are the artists that influenced you the most to become a musician?

Matt Freeman is my #1 influence. His playing taught me how to write bass lines, and how the bass guitar could take a song to the next level. Although, the very first song I heard and thought to myself that I wanted to try playing was "Short Skirt Long Jacket" by Cake. It's catchy, groovy and simple, and it got little 14 year old Stephanie picking up a bass and learning Rancid bass lines.

What's important for you when you write your bass lines?

When writing bass lines I focus on what's best for the song based on how the other members play. Bass is the perfect middle ground between melody and rhythm so I think there's a spot between guitars, vocals and drums that a good bass line will always fit. I think it's the glue between everything, sonically. It doesn't have to be complicated either.


 Congrats on the music video for the new single, “Skyline”. How did the concept come about?

Thank you! It was a really fun day, filled with so many friends. Chris really came up with the video concept as it's a song that's personal to him. It's about the urgency that you have to leave the place you grew up only to return and find a town that has changed in a way that is unfamiliar. Then you get reminded of why you like to come back; because it's filled with your family, friends and beautiful scenery. All of those faces and landmarks have become a place for myself to call home now too. We wanted to showcase that.

The track is taken from the upcoming album, “Respect The Frequency”. How was the writting process of this new material?

This album involved more than just Chris and myself. While our songwriting process usually starts with Chris writing on guitar, we had a lot of friends involved in this album to finish it. We went to New York to record drums and bass with the drummer, Josh Carothers. We showed up with the songs, and it was a hectic week, in a New York City heat wave, in a tiny jam room. I'd watch Josh and Chris play through the songs while Josh recorded his drums on the spot, then we recorded my bass later. It gave me time to watch how Josh played so I could write bass lines accordingly. Back in Montreal, we recorded vocals and guitars. We also got three good friends to record lead guitars on two to three songs each. It really showcased all of their talents and it came together in a nice, cohesive album. This record is about sharing music with our friends and being able to put out something together.

Where did you record it and who was behind the soundboard?

For all guitars and vocals, we recorded with Ryan Batistuzzi in Montreal at his studio, Le Stuzzio. Bass and drums were recorded in Brooklyn with Josh Carothers, the drummer. He pulled double duty on this one. The album was mixed by Jesse Gander and mastered by Stu McKillop at Rain City Recorders, in Vancouver, B.C.

Which song is the most special to you on the album?

It's hard to pick one! The song "SCCS" features a saxophone which fulfilled my teenage horn section dreams haha but the song "Nice Knowing You" was the first time I expressed myself in a lyrical way. And I was angry. I'm usually one to shy away from conflict but Chris gave me a push to write lyrics about something that was difficult to write about. Plus it's fucking fast and I love it.

The band is taking a strong stand against any form of oppression and intolerance. Why is it so important for you to take this stand?

If you're a human being, you should care about this. While it can be incredibly depressing learning the many ways that humans are capable of doing harm to others, it's important to learn from other peoples experiences because that gives way for a change in perspective. Talk to people, travel if you can, be open minded by putting your ego aside, and practice gratitude.

What are the short and long term plans for the band?

In the short term, our record will be released on October 29th, 2021 and we will be doing a record launch show in Montreal on December 11th. Our long term plans involve more recording in January 2022, and a lot of touring, finally!! We are more than ready to get back on the road.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to talk with us, and to finish this, what would be the best way to support the band?

Thank you for asking me to be a part of this! The best way to support any group is to go to their shows! But since we are stuck in social media land these days, another great way is to actively pay attention to the things they post about. We will always talk about and tag the people that are involved in our journey, all the friends that helped with videos, photos, and artwork as well as producing the music. Check out their accounts too!

The easiest way for this is on Instagram and Facebook https://www.instagram.com/tlm_pma/ and https://www.facebook.com/thelastmilehc. You can hear our music and check out the merch on https://thelastmile.bandcamp.com/. If you're in the USA you can find our album https://radgirlfriendrecords.bandcamp.com/ We are also on all streaming platforms.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview w/ Jennifer "JJ" Leigh ( THE DEVOTCHKAS)

In 1996, three girls from New-York got together to form The Devotchkas . A band that would go on to become one of the most talked about all-girl oï punk of the scene at the time. A time that was long before smartphones and social media, when bands only had web pages on Geocities and Angelfire, which is where we first heard about them. Because in 2001, after Jennifer Leigh, (better known has JJ ) took vocal duties, the band released an iconic album, that was not only our introduction to them, but to how much ass a women can kick when they play badass music. The next year they went on hiatus, and we never heard about them. The whole industry evolved, but for us they remained legendary in their own way.  Fast foward 20 years later, the same line-up that released that iconic album, decided it was time to get back in action. This weekend, the gang is set to play at the C.Y. Fest in Los Angeles, not once, but twice, and even though we can't attend, we couldn't be more exited at the i

THE 90 BEST SINGLES OF 2022

Alright so here's our final list for 2022. We've discovered so many amazing bands this year but what we enjoy the most is seeing bands that are still active, recording and putting new noise out. A lot of them are releasing singles now, which has become almost a standard considering what the industry has become. It's an awesome way to get your name out there fast, so don't wait to record a full album or even EP. We wanna hear you, so just go ahead and record a song! We'll definitely look for it. So here are 90 songs that came across our radar this year. Featuring some of the most badass women, queers and non-binary people, of course ;) Oh and for those of you who don't have the time to browse through all these links, here is what you were waiting for...our epic 2022 playlist, featuring all our best albums, EPs and singles of the year. Clocking at around 11 hours and presenting 203 bands, we think you'll def find something you like in there. Enjoy! THE playlis

THE PHOTO PASS with MIHAELA PETRESCU

When did you first pick up a camera and what motivated you to start photography? I picked up a camera at around 4 years old. My mom did some photography when i was young, so I grew up with a camera in my hands. Did you study or are you self taught? I studied in cinema/video/communications at Dawson College, then I went to Concordia University in the same field. I never actually studied photography but I had a lot of photo classes. Do you remember the first show you ever shot and how it went? My uncle played in bands since I was really young. The first show I shot was my uncle's first show with his new band. I was around 13 years old. The stress was real! I think I had one of those point and shoot cameras. I also remember my first show for a media; it was Septicflesh at Café Campus. How did you know you wanted to do concert photography and what do you love the most about it? The first concert I ever saw was of Cher . I was maybe 8 or 9 years old and I vividly remember watching the