Skip to main content

INTERVIEW W/ KAT MOSS (SCOWL)

Photo: Chrisy Salinas / @cuhhrissee

Scowl is a hardcore punk band from Santa Cruz, California, and they've been making a lot of waves within, and beyond the hardcore scene, since they've released their amazing debut album last year, "How Flowers Grow". They were recently confirmed as and opener on Limp Bizkit's upcoming arena tour, which is set to begin next month, but before that, they are getting on the road with Touché Amoré, Vein FM, Militarie Gun and Closer, next week, and will be stopping by Montreal on the 24th, at the Fairmount Theatre

We got in touch with singer, Kat Moss, to learn more about the band and her musical background. 

-----------------

Hey Kat, thank you so much for taking the time to chat with us. We've been huge fans of your work with Scowl, ever since we heard the first EP. But before we talk about where the band is at now, we are very interested to find out where you come from. Where did you grow up, and how old were you when you started getting into the local DIY scene?

Hi! I grew up in a small town near Sacramento, CA. I started to attend local shows in Sacramento, Chico, and Berkeley until I moved to Santa Cruz in 2018. I began helping with the local hardcore shows upon my arrival. Santa Cruz is a small beach town tucked behind the coastal mountains separating it from San Jose.

What are some records that made the biggest impressions on you within the punk/hardcore genre?

Regulate - Years of Rage made a huge impression on me vocally and lyrically as well as Gorilla Biscuits - Start Today. That record makes me so happy and perfectly captures hardcore in my opinion! London Calling by The Clash, any Ramones record, and Bikini Kill’s early releases.

What motivated you to pick up a microphone and say "I can do this too"?

I always felt frightened by attention or “the spotlight” and felt I needed to push myself just to see if i could do it. I needed to at least try it out because I didn’t want to look back on my life someday and think to myself “Damn! I never played music because I was too scared.”

Over a decade ago, it was still a rare thing to see a woman on stage, fronting a hardcore band. Today more women are involved, even if the scene is still very male dominated. What caused this evolution you think and how do you feel about being an inspiration for younger women out there who are seeking artists to relate to?

I think that things have always been changing and subculture is ever evolving. It just wouldn’t make sense for an ‘underground world’ that prides itself in our differences to reject that sort of change… Of course it depends who you’re talking to though!
Being considered anything close to an inspiration by young femme individuals feels insane to me! I cannot believe it— but I am forever grateful.

Photo: Raymundo Camacho / @punk_monk_ray

What's your experience of sexism in the scene and what do you think are solutions to create safer spaces for marginalized people at shows?

I have some moderate experiences of sexism in the scene. It’s either completely ignorant or entirely purposeful and unfortunately it’s hard to notice a difference. It’s tricky to give advice on something i’m still struggling with on a daily basis! I just try to be patient in the face of it and put myself and my mental health first.

What are your thoughts on being described as a "female fronted" band? Obviously it's not a genre but it clearly remains a headline in many media.

It’s something that’s a bit hard to swallow! Nobody wants their hard work, blood, sweat, and tears practically pigeon-holed. Women are incredible and I am constantly honored to be compared to other incredible femme performers but there is a sense of ignorance in comparing bands because of that one similarity. nobody compares two bands just because they are fronted by dudes. Why? Because it’s stupid.

Scowl is your first band. How did the group get together?

Malachi and I talked about starting a band, He has a ‘get up and go’ personality so it didn’t take long for us to write and record our demo. Cole and Malachi had history playing music together so it only made sense for him to play drum. And Bailey joined on bass a bit later.

How did you pick the type of voice you were gonna go with, did you just let it flow naturally or did you aim for something really precise, and how would you describe your evolution from the first demo to the last album?

I had no idea what I was doing vocally when Scowl started. I just let it flow naturally but it’s developed a lot over time. I’ve learned a lot about technique and breathe control!

Photo: Danielle Dixon / @danielleriot

This past November you released "How Flowers Grow", your debut full length. How was the recording process for you, and tell us a memory that you will always remember about it?

The process was really special for me. It was cathartic and I have never felt so confident in a recording setting. The best memory was recording “Seeds to Sow” just because it was such a surprising moment. None of us had planned it.

Did the band have any references on how you wanted the album to sound like or did you have your own?

We had some influences on specific songs. The Stooges inspired Four Walls, Camera Silens inspired the composition of Seeds to Sow and I was vocally inspired by Snail Mail and The Cranberries.

What song was the toughest to write and which one was the easiest?

Idle Roaring Room was the hardest because I wrote it in the studio and I wanted to keep it repetitive but not lazy. Dead to Me was the easiest because it just felt like the words flowed onto paper effortlessly. That one had a lot of emotion.

We are beyond thrilled to get to see you perform in Montreal next week. Have you ever been here before and what french words you got in bank for us?

I’ve never been and I’m SO excited! The only french ‘Ouvre la porte’ hahaha


The pandemic made it pretty tough for a lot of bands to get on tours. You've still managed to play a bunch of really cool fests though. How do you feel about this upcoming tour with Touché Amoré, Vein and Militarie Gun?

I’m incredibly excited and grateful for the opportunities we’ve had to play music in such a challenging time. The tour with Touché, Vein, and Militarie Gun is gonna be so much fun!

What goes through your head just before getting on stage, and after so many shows, what did you learn about yourself from performing live?

I get butterflies before we play every time! I’ve learned to just set myself up for success and warm up before we play. I do anything to help me feel secure enough to play a good set.

We like to finish our interviews with a bunch of top 5s, so here we go!

5 best hardcore albums of all time
1. Gorilla Biscuits - Start Today
2. California Cursed - Drain
3. Negative Approach - Tied Down
4. Madball - Set It Off
5. Minor Threat - First Two Seven Inches

5 documentaries we should watch
1. The Day Punk Broke
2. The Punk Singer
3. American Hardcore
4. Life on the Murder Scene
5. The Decline of Western Civilization

5 books you would recommend
1. American Hardcore: A Tribal History
2. Please Kill Me
3. It’s kind of a funny story
4. Girl in a Band: A memoir
5. In Defense of Ska

5 songs that you could listen to all day
1. Happier Than Ever by Billie Eilish
2. Hertz by Amyl and The Sniffers
3. Your Girl by Lana Del Rey
4. TLC by Turnstile
5. Speed Kills by Chubby and The Gang

5 tips for women who wants to start an hardcore band
1. Just go for it!
2. Channel all your anxious, angry, sad, etc energy/emotion into your performance.
3. Don’t overcomplicate it!
4. DON’T read the negative crap online!
5. DO make an effort to meet/connect with the femme’s around you in the scene. Don’t compare yourself to anyone else and just remember that this is supposed to be fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview w/ Jennifer "JJ" Leigh ( THE DEVOTCHKAS)

In 1996, three girls from New-York got together to form The Devotchkas . A band that would go on to become one of the most talked about all-girl oï punk of the scene at the time. A time that was long before smartphones and social media, when bands only had web pages on Geocities and Angelfire, which is where we first heard about them. Because in 2001, after Jennifer Leigh, (better known has JJ ) took vocal duties, the band released an iconic album, that was not only our introduction to them, but to how much ass a women can kick when they play badass music. The next year they went on hiatus, and we never heard about them. The whole industry evolved, but for us they remained legendary in their own way.  Fast foward 20 years later, the same line-up that released that iconic album, decided it was time to get back in action. This weekend, the gang is set to play at the C.Y. Fest in Los Angeles, not once, but twice, and even though we can't attend, we couldn't be more exited at the i

THE PHOTO PASS with MIHAELA PETRESCU

When did you first pick up a camera and what motivated you to start photography? I picked up a camera at around 4 years old. My mom did some photography when i was young, so I grew up with a camera in my hands. Did you study or are you self taught? I studied in cinema/video/communications at Dawson College, then I went to Concordia University in the same field. I never actually studied photography but I had a lot of photo classes. Do you remember the first show you ever shot and how it went? My uncle played in bands since I was really young. The first show I shot was my uncle's first show with his new band. I was around 13 years old. The stress was real! I think I had one of those point and shoot cameras. I also remember my first show for a media; it was Septicflesh at Café Campus. How did you know you wanted to do concert photography and what do you love the most about it? The first concert I ever saw was of Cher . I was maybe 8 or 9 years old and I vividly remember watching the

THE 90 BEST SINGLES OF 2022

Alright so here's our final list for 2022. We've discovered so many amazing bands this year but what we enjoy the most is seeing bands that are still active, recording and putting new noise out. A lot of them are releasing singles now, which has become almost a standard considering what the industry has become. It's an awesome way to get your name out there fast, so don't wait to record a full album or even EP. We wanna hear you, so just go ahead and record a song! We'll definitely look for it. So here are 90 songs that came across our radar this year. Featuring some of the most badass women, queers and non-binary people, of course ;) Oh and for those of you who don't have the time to browse through all these links, here is what you were waiting for...our epic 2022 playlist, featuring all our best albums, EPs and singles of the year. Clocking at around 11 hours and presenting 203 bands, we think you'll def find something you like in there. Enjoy! THE playlis