Skip to main content

Interview w/ Martha Rockhard (The Lookout)


If you've been roaming in the local underground punk scene since a while, well the chances are very good that you've seen The Lookout on a stage before. The chances are also very good that you went like '"woaaaaah these guys are killing it!". Because yeah they rock as hard as it gets. The drumming is tight and brutal, the bass is wild with fast runs all over the neck, the riffs are headbanging with some tasty solos, but what will really kick your ass is Martha, the singer, who is as passionate as she is fierce on a stage. Oh and she got pipes too.

We've reach out to her to get to know more about her story and what's going on with the band.

Enjoy!




Hey Martha, first of all, how are you going? How is the family?

Hey Emmanuel! Im doing good... besides the fact that taking care of a one and half year old is a 24/7 job and I'm exhausted. Haha! We are however lucky to be together and healthy. Thanks for asking!

Of course these are weird times, and the whole industry is on hold right now. How is all this affecting your projects and the band?

Well when this all started and we went on lockdown I though it would be a great opportunity to write and be creative. That has proven to be harder than I expected since I seem to have very little spare time to myself. Some of the guys I play with have been writing some music and sending it over my way for inspiration. Really looking forward to getting back in the space for good ol fashion jam!

How do you keep busy and what's your take on the effects of all this, as a society and on the music scene?

There were a few renovation projects that were planned around the house so I got those done. Now I'll move on to writing during the baby's naps. I mean it's been tough on everyone and for different reasons. People have been frightened by this pandemic to the point where there might be no going back. I think the live music scene will eventually restore itself but not exactly the same way its been since I've been a part of it at least. Can't really predict how free people will allow themselves to be even with restrictions lifted. I'm definitely eager to play some shows and I hope music lovers are just as eager to watch them.

You've been playing with The Lookout for a long time now. How did you guys get together? You were playing drums at first right?

Yeah I had met one of the guys that was a client at a tattoo studio I worked in. (Imago) They were looking for a drummer so I went in and we hit it off. After one full length album and couple of years, the singer Elsie and her boyfriend Seb who was the bassist decided to move on to other things. That was when the band started looking for a new singer...I was asked to take the spot and current drummer Nic joined. We've been a happy family ever since! I'd say 10 years since the start of it.


You've released 3 EPs so far and played pretty much constantly here and there ever since, how would you resume those years with The Lookout?

It's simple. We're always having fun and if you've ever seen us play live, you can tell. We're just buddies and we love to play punk rock together. Since I introduced my buddy Ryan into the mix for all our recording needs, we've only increased the fun exponentially.

You have the reputation of being quite the beast on stage. Is there any performers that inspired you to go out there and give it all?

Beast? Why thank you! Yeah of course any front person has to look up to someone. There have been many for me since I started. Steven Tyler, Jim Morrison, Elvis, Danzig, Henry Rollins, Tina Turner, Wendy O. Williams...and it never ends. I find I'm always inspired by performers big and small. Also I just love people so I try to connect with them and give 'em all the feels, you know what I'm saying?

You mix a lot of stuff in between hardcore punk and rock n roll in your sound. What are the first bands that influenced you to go down this path?

Oh man! Tough one to keep short haha. Growing up I liked rock n' roll. Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Doors, Aerosmith...When I was a teen I thought I didn't like punk cause I was hearing bands like NoFX and Offspring and that just wasn't my bag as a heavy metal kid. I was into Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, etc.. later on I got into the grunge thing and hardcore came shortly after. I was really into Misfits and Black Flag. I think the guys in the band have very diverse taste in music as well and the combination of all of us is what makes the sound of The Lookout.

Last fall you've released your EP III, tell us about it, was there an evolution from the second EP, and what are the songs about?

EPIII was fun to make, long but fun. It was around the time when I was pregnant so the birth of my baby delayed the whole thing a bit. Although I was still playing shows at nine months pregnant haha. I try to let the songs have positive encouragement. I write what I know like most people and for me its usually about personal experiences and relationships.

Why cassettes?

Grew up in the eighties, I like the thought of the cassette. Some might say there's a comeback. Haha

How do you feel about women in the local punk scene, do yo still see a lot of sexism?

You know maybe I did when I was a bit younger and more prone to be exposed to sexist behaviour but not anymore. I'm not sure if it's just me not seeing it cause frankly I'm done caring what people think or it's cause my confidence level has increased and I get more respect. Maybe it's just cause Montrealers in the scene know me and treat me well. Regardless, the people I know and rub shoulders with have an appreciation of working with different genders, especially females cause it brings another dynamic to the field.

What do you think about being described as a "female fronted" band, is it something that bothers you or you think in the end, it's a good way to point out women's presence in a male dominated scene?

Yeah I have no problem with that. Sometimes it attracts even more people to the gigs. I don't know, I played in an all girl band and the crowd just loves it. Perhaps cause it's unexpected I guess, albeit less now. To be honest I don't even think of gender, same as race, age, whatever. It makes no difference to me personally as long as you're a decent human.


Last year you got to play the 2 biggest punk fests in town, Pouzza and '77, how was your experience?

We had a blast! Festivals are so much fun cause there's a lot to look forward to besides your gig. Friends, shows, percs, food and the atmosphere is always great! We especially loved playing on the island for 77 cause we got to be up close with pretty much all the artists and got lots of exposure for our band. Under those circumstances we get to reach a different type of fan that we might not have. People love festivals cause they get to discover new acts and we love it when they come up to us and let us know.

How about a little concert anecdote?

After giving birth and hit the stage again, I always peed myself a little when I pushed a scream. Probably for the first year or so and I always mentioned it to the crowd for fear of getting caught with a wet spot on my pants. Haha. We all had a good laugh about it.

Let's finish this with some top 5s:

Top 5 punk records from the 80's:

Misfits-Earth A.D/Wolfs Blood
Samhain-Initium
Black Flag-Damaged
Ramones-End of the Century
Motorhead-Ace of Spades

Top 5 cover songs:

Minor Threat-Steppin' Stone
Dead Kennedys-Viva Las Vegas
Green Day-Don't Want to Know if you are Lonely
Rise Against-Nervous Breakdown
Metallica-Last Caress/Green Hell

Top 5 singers of any genre:

Danzig
Elvis
Tina Turner
Jim Morrison
Freddy Mercury

Top 5 newly discovered bands:

BCASA
War on Women
Lightning Bolt
The Zombies
Boids



https://www.facebook.com/thelookoutmtl/
https://thelookout.bandcamp.com/








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview w/ Jennifer "JJ" Leigh ( THE DEVOTCHKAS)

In 1996, three girls from New-York got together to form The Devotchkas . A band that would go on to become one of the most talked about all-girl oï punk of the scene at the time. A time that was long before smartphones and social media, when bands only had web pages on Geocities and Angelfire, which is where we first heard about them. Because in 2001, after Jennifer Leigh, (better known has JJ ) took vocal duties, the band released an iconic album, that was not only our introduction to them, but to how much ass a women can kick when they play badass music. The next year they went on hiatus, and we never heard about them. The whole industry evolved, but for us they remained legendary in their own way.  Fast foward 20 years later, the same line-up that released that iconic album, decided it was time to get back in action. This weekend, the gang is set to play at the C.Y. Fest in Los Angeles, not once, but twice, and even though we can't attend, we couldn't be more exited at the i

THE PHOTO PASS with MIHAELA PETRESCU

When did you first pick up a camera and what motivated you to start photography? I picked up a camera at around 4 years old. My mom did some photography when i was young, so I grew up with a camera in my hands. Did you study or are you self taught? I studied in cinema/video/communications at Dawson College, then I went to Concordia University in the same field. I never actually studied photography but I had a lot of photo classes. Do you remember the first show you ever shot and how it went? My uncle played in bands since I was really young. The first show I shot was my uncle's first show with his new band. I was around 13 years old. The stress was real! I think I had one of those point and shoot cameras. I also remember my first show for a media; it was Septicflesh at Café Campus. How did you know you wanted to do concert photography and what do you love the most about it? The first concert I ever saw was of Cher . I was maybe 8 or 9 years old and I vividly remember watching the

THE 90 BEST SINGLES OF 2022

Alright so here's our final list for 2022. We've discovered so many amazing bands this year but what we enjoy the most is seeing bands that are still active, recording and putting new noise out. A lot of them are releasing singles now, which has become almost a standard considering what the industry has become. It's an awesome way to get your name out there fast, so don't wait to record a full album or even EP. We wanna hear you, so just go ahead and record a song! We'll definitely look for it. So here are 90 songs that came across our radar this year. Featuring some of the most badass women, queers and non-binary people, of course ;) Oh and for those of you who don't have the time to browse through all these links, here is what you were waiting for...our epic 2022 playlist, featuring all our best albums, EPs and singles of the year. Clocking at around 11 hours and presenting 203 bands, we think you'll def find something you like in there. Enjoy! THE playlis