Skip to main content

Interview w/ Karly Soto (Snuffed)

Photo: Brittle Bones Photography

Snuffed is a hardcore punk band from Chicago who released their debut album, "Coping Human Waste", a few months ago and it is one fierce contender for our top albums of the year. The group arrived on the scene with a blistering EP in 2018, "Mind's Eye", then put out a 7' in 2019, for which all profits were donated to GoodKidsMadCity, an organization focused on battling gun violence and promoting community unity in Chicago. The band just came back from a tour to support the new album, so we had a little chat with singer Karla Soto, to talk about it.


First of all, congrats on that debut album. It's such a face melting piece of work from the first to last note. How do you feel about it?

Thank you! I appreciate it! I am so glad the album is finally complete and pressed. We were sitting on these songs for a while, and the album has been complete for quite some time before the actual release. We wanted to make sure we had vinyls pressed before touring, and record pressing companies are just really behind. I'm super stoked on the album and glad that others are too

How was the recording process for you and who worked behind the board with the group?

I'd never recorded in a studio like that before, so it was really cool. We recorded with Andy Nelson at Bricktop Studios. He's super knowledgeable, professional, nice, and made the entire process really comfortable.

When did the band start writing the songs, and how are they different from the ones on your first EP and your 2019 single?

I honestly can't even remember when exactly we started writing them. A WHILE ago. The recording process from writing our demo and singles was just an entirely different process. I've gotten more confident in my writing, I'd say the stuff I have been writing recently comes from a little more of a deeper/darker place than previous content.

Where do you look for inspiration to write your lyrics and is there a song that is very special to you on this record?

I will just have spurts of creativity sometimes. Kind of hits all at once like a lightning bolt, but when it's dry it's dry. I often write about personal experiences, the struggles of everyday human existence. It's easier for me to write from a first person perspective. I'd say my favorite song on the album is 'If You Resent.'

How would you describe your sound to someone who is looking for new bands to discover?

I'd describe us as a fast, hard hitting, hardcore-punk type sound.


 Snuffed has been around for a few years and is basically your first band. What made you decide to pick up a mic and say "alright let's do this".

I was technically in another band prior to Snuffed called Mindloss, in which I left to focus on Snuffed exclusively. I never did any shows with the band, and they became a death metal band shortly after my exit, however what inspired me to do vocals, is one day I was listening to "Live Through This." by Hole, honestly it's an album that has followed me through my youth. People can perceive Courtney Love however they choose, however, that album has gotten me through a lot of hard times and is near and dear to me. It's a raw, real, angst and pain filled album that inspired me to ask myself the question: "I wonder if I could learn to do this."

Was there ever any anxiety related to performing in a male dominated scene?

No. I've had anxiety around performing in general and being up in front of people. However, I'll admit I've never felt intimidated in a male dominated scene. I've been in scenes that are male dominated for years, I grew up with a lot of guy friends, and I work in the trades, I am very used to being in male dominated spaces. One of my goals with this band was to help create inclusivity in the scene for people who are not cis white men.

Tell us a bit about how is the hardcore scene in Chicago and did you see an evolution in its diversity and how inclusive it is?

To be honest, I was not really involved in the hardcore scene at all until I was in Snuffed. I came up more of a thrash metal kid, which shaped my love for fast music, I didn't really listen to a ton of hardcore growing up. As far as the scene goes, there's a ton of good bands and it's very active, as far as evolution goes, I am happy to see more femmes and POC in bands.

What do you think we can do to make it better and safer?

To make things safer, I think it's important to hear people out on their situations on why they may feel unsafe. Keeping consistent problem causers away and accountable for whatever reason that may be, I also think is important. No humans are blameless or perfect, but there are serious issues that cannot be ignored, so you gotta deal with them promptly if they arise.

Outside of hardcore/punk, what are some bands you love?

I love so many bands and artists that aren't hardcore punk!
 
Five artists I've been listening to a lot lately are;
 
- Flo Mili
- SZA
- Doja Cat
- Tennis
- Kali Uchis

Is there any singer/front person you look up to?

Lol, Nirvana fans might feel some type of way but Courtney Love, because Live Through This was my biggest inspiration. Also Kat Bjelland from Babes in Toyland. Jenny Lewis from Rilo Kiley.

Tell us a story that happened with Snuffed that you'll never forget.

I'll keep it simple and say our first real tour was definitely an unforgettable time.


What are the band's plans for the rest of the year?


Now that we are done touring, we have a few shows coming up in September and October. In November we are playing, Act Like You Know fest in Tulsa Oklahoma, and I believe Detroit Sweatfest in December. Other than that, I believe we are taking time to write some new material and potentially record a few things for a split.

Let's finish this with a bunch of Top 5s:

Top 5 Chicago bands

- Meat Wave (hands down my favorite band from Chicago)
- C.H.E.W. (R.I.P.)
- Sarin
- Lil Tits
- Sea of Shit

Top 5 classic hardcore albums

I can give you my top 5 hardcore albums in general! No particular order.

- The Shape of Punk to Come - Refused
- Collapse - World I Hate
- Glow On - Turnstile
- Burning Desire to Draw Last Breath - Gulch
- Kersed - Ceremony

Top 5 documentaries/movies about the hardcore/punk scene

I'm gonna be honest, I don't really watch music documentaries.

Top 5 best shows ever

These are all artists I've seen that have put on some of the best performances I've ever attended.

- King Diamond
- NIN
- Empire Of The Sun
- Power Trip
- Wormrot

Top 5 villains

I LOVE this question!

- Pinhead from Hellraiser
- Norman Bates from Psycho
- The Violator from Spawn
- Poison Ivy from Batman
- Damien - The Omen

Top 5 advice to a young woman who wants to sing in a hardcore band

I don't really have a top 5 advice to be honest. I'd say if you want to do it and have the right people to work with, just go for it. It's really about taking time and having the dedication to make it happen, and having people you can work with creatively.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview w/ Jennifer "JJ" Leigh ( THE DEVOTCHKAS)

In 1996, three girls from New-York got together to form The Devotchkas . A band that would go on to become one of the most talked about all-girl oï punk of the scene at the time. A time that was long before smartphones and social media, when bands only had web pages on Geocities and Angelfire, which is where we first heard about them. Because in 2001, after Jennifer Leigh, (better known has JJ ) took vocal duties, the band released an iconic album, that was not only our introduction to them, but to how much ass a women can kick when they play badass music. The next year they went on hiatus, and we never heard about them. The whole industry evolved, but for us they remained legendary in their own way.  Fast foward 20 years later, the same line-up that released that iconic album, decided it was time to get back in action. This weekend, the gang is set to play at the C.Y. Fest in Los Angeles, not once, but twice, and even though we can't attend, we couldn't be more exited at the i

THE PHOTO PASS with MIHAELA PETRESCU

When did you first pick up a camera and what motivated you to start photography? I picked up a camera at around 4 years old. My mom did some photography when i was young, so I grew up with a camera in my hands. Did you study or are you self taught? I studied in cinema/video/communications at Dawson College, then I went to Concordia University in the same field. I never actually studied photography but I had a lot of photo classes. Do you remember the first show you ever shot and how it went? My uncle played in bands since I was really young. The first show I shot was my uncle's first show with his new band. I was around 13 years old. The stress was real! I think I had one of those point and shoot cameras. I also remember my first show for a media; it was Septicflesh at Café Campus. How did you know you wanted to do concert photography and what do you love the most about it? The first concert I ever saw was of Cher . I was maybe 8 or 9 years old and I vividly remember watching the

THE 90 BEST SINGLES OF 2022

Alright so here's our final list for 2022. We've discovered so many amazing bands this year but what we enjoy the most is seeing bands that are still active, recording and putting new noise out. A lot of them are releasing singles now, which has become almost a standard considering what the industry has become. It's an awesome way to get your name out there fast, so don't wait to record a full album or even EP. We wanna hear you, so just go ahead and record a song! We'll definitely look for it. So here are 90 songs that came across our radar this year. Featuring some of the most badass women, queers and non-binary people, of course ;) Oh and for those of you who don't have the time to browse through all these links, here is what you were waiting for...our epic 2022 playlist, featuring all our best albums, EPs and singles of the year. Clocking at around 11 hours and presenting 203 bands, we think you'll def find something you like in there. Enjoy! THE playlis