Skip to main content

WITCHES OF THE WEEK #18: VULPYNES

1- Where is the band from and what's the best thing to do there?

Molly: We are from Dublin, Ireland. The best thing to do here is admire the scenery and play live music. Ireland is a beautiful country with a vibrant music scene. However at the moment we are living in lockdown, so neither of those things are possible. Instead, I've been supplementing those activities with trying to spot urban foxes around my neighbourhood and attracting different species of birds into my back garden with extravagant bird feeders. Life changes.
Kaz: Best things for me are attending gigs with friends, any sea or beach, Achill Island is a beaut!

2- What does your band name stand for and what was the runner up?

Molly: Vulpynes is taken from 'Vulpine' which is a fox. And ehhh we were nearly called Black Thread. Which sucks major balls.

Kaz: Like Molly said, I remember Black Thread being on a piece of paper haha. Super glad we didn't go with that!!

3- Describe your sound using a movie title.

Molly: Wild at Heart haha

Kaz: Jumanji. For absolutely no reason at all other than I like saying that word hahaha

 
 
4- What song would describe each member of the band?

Molly: Hmmmm I guess I would be I Can't Sit Still because I can't and won't.

Kaz: I'll go with our song OCD. I suffer terribly. It can take me forever to leave the house and do simple things because I'm constantly counting things and tipping things over and over. It's frustrating! But, what I love about our song is that it's tongue in cheek and turns the whole craziness of OCD on it's head and looks at it from a positive perspective which I think is pretty cool!

5- Name 3 bands who would headline your dream fest?

Molly: The Distillers, REM and Rage Against the Machine

Kaz: Slipknot, Nine Inch Nails and Alice In Chains

6- Your stance on being described as "female fronted"?

Molly: The most banal and lazy way of describing anything.

Kaz: Boring at this stage

7- Are you signed on a label and why?

Molly: We aren't signed to a label but we have released our last two records on FOAD Records because we wanted to work with a label we know and trust.

8- What's the most punk thing you've seen on tour/in a show?

Molly: Patti Smith live. You must experience it to understand.

Kaz: Probably Al Jourgensen from Ministry staggering around the stage downing triple whiskeys and managing to still look cool as fuck!

9- The best album of all time and why?

Molly: I'm pretty sure I change my answer to this every time it is asked, it depends what phase I'm going through! At the moment it's REM, their album Monster is rocking my world right now.

Kaz: The Holy Bible by Manic Street Preachers. It makes the most sense to me when I'm in a dark place, and it makes me feel better. But when I'm in a happy place, I can't listen to it at all! It's a masterpiece.

10- What's the best way to support your band?

Kaz: Come to our gigs, (when gigs are a thing again!) listen to our music, buy a t-shirt or an EP...it all means the world to us :)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview w/ Jennifer "JJ" Leigh ( THE DEVOTCHKAS)

In 1996, three girls from New-York got together to form The Devotchkas . A band that would go on to become one of the most talked about all-girl oï punk of the scene at the time. A time that was long before smartphones and social media, when bands only had web pages on Geocities and Angelfire, which is where we first heard about them. Because in 2001, after Jennifer Leigh, (better known has JJ ) took vocal duties, the band released an iconic album, that was not only our introduction to them, but to how much ass a women can kick when they play badass music. The next year they went on hiatus, and we never heard about them. The whole industry evolved, but for us they remained legendary in their own way.  Fast foward 20 years later, the same line-up that released that iconic album, decided it was time to get back in action. This weekend, the gang is set to play at the C.Y. Fest in Los Angeles, not once, but twice, and even though we can't attend, we couldn't be more exited at the i

THE PHOTO PASS with MIHAELA PETRESCU

When did you first pick up a camera and what motivated you to start photography? I picked up a camera at around 4 years old. My mom did some photography when i was young, so I grew up with a camera in my hands. Did you study or are you self taught? I studied in cinema/video/communications at Dawson College, then I went to Concordia University in the same field. I never actually studied photography but I had a lot of photo classes. Do you remember the first show you ever shot and how it went? My uncle played in bands since I was really young. The first show I shot was my uncle's first show with his new band. I was around 13 years old. The stress was real! I think I had one of those point and shoot cameras. I also remember my first show for a media; it was Septicflesh at Café Campus. How did you know you wanted to do concert photography and what do you love the most about it? The first concert I ever saw was of Cher . I was maybe 8 or 9 years old and I vividly remember watching the

THE 90 BEST SINGLES OF 2022

Alright so here's our final list for 2022. We've discovered so many amazing bands this year but what we enjoy the most is seeing bands that are still active, recording and putting new noise out. A lot of them are releasing singles now, which has become almost a standard considering what the industry has become. It's an awesome way to get your name out there fast, so don't wait to record a full album or even EP. We wanna hear you, so just go ahead and record a song! We'll definitely look for it. So here are 90 songs that came across our radar this year. Featuring some of the most badass women, queers and non-binary people, of course ;) Oh and for those of you who don't have the time to browse through all these links, here is what you were waiting for...our epic 2022 playlist, featuring all our best albums, EPs and singles of the year. Clocking at around 11 hours and presenting 203 bands, we think you'll def find something you like in there. Enjoy! THE playlis