Skip to main content

BREAK IT DOWN #1: "WE ARE GIRLS" by IDESTROY

1. What does this album mean to you?

We Are Girls is our debut album, so it's very special to us! We are already so proud of what we have achieved with the release.

2. Why "We are girls"?

Sometimes the word girl gets used in a negative way, well this is a celebration of being a GIRL!

3. Where was it recorded and who produced it?

The album was recorded and mixed by Jay Hills at West Street Studios, Bristol. We selfed produced the album alongside Jay, who was great at achieving the sounds we wanted. I would give him some vague description of an effect or show him a rough demo or reference track and he'd take that and turn our songs into exactly what I'd imagined.

4. One moment that happened during its recording, that you will never forget?

Recording the crowd vocals on Death Party was a lot of fun. We invited some of our mates alongs to the studio and took a whole night recording vocal layer upon vocal layer.

5. Break it down:

G.O.D.
G.O.D is the album opener, it's a two minute feisty rant inspired by a falling out with a friend. It also explores the idea of social media and people perhaps thinking they're some sort of God for having lots of 'followers'.

Petting Zoo
Petting Zoo was an outlet for my anger, I wrote it after being groped in a nightclub. Petting Zoo is for everyone who is tired of being leered at, sexualised and touched without consent. Petting Zoo was written to highlight this problem, the need to change today's culture and eradicate this type of behaviour.

We Are Girls
We Are Girls distils all the preconceptions and patronising attitudes we’ve endured as a female band. Being told to smile, being called cranky, people’s surprise when they discover that we can play our instruments well.

We can be carrying our gear and still be mistaken for mates of the band. We’ve even been asked if we know how to use our own gear and equipment! It’s amazing that this stuff still goes on, but it does and it makes me mad.

Lemons
This is an older IDestroy track which was re-recorded to appear on the album. It's written about someone I used to work with, she was such an angry person. I'm not sure why but she took a dislike to me and would pick on new members of staff. Her behaviour at times could have been classed as bullying. I went home from work one day and wrote this song. My old coworkers always knew who the song was about, she had no idea. So I guess we kind of had the last laugh!

Death Party
Death Party is about living life to the max, grabbing every moment as it comes. The ending of the song was taken verbatim from the Darwin Awards, which are true stories about the strange ways people have died, doing stupid stuff like running up and down escalators. It sounds morbid, but it’s a silly celebration of life.”

Cheap Monday
Cheap Monday is part ode to the now defunct clothing brand, part dig at my own sloppy dressing.

Sick Friend
Sick Friend is about my hypochondria. After finishing the song I just couldn't come up with a good name for it. The track didn't have a title for so long, until I played it my Dad and asked him what it should be called. He said instantly 'Sick Friend'. I liked it and so it stuck!

Swim
Swim stands for 'Someone Who Isn't Me' and captures the chaos of lives in turmoil.

The Young And The Wasted
The Young and Wasted explores squandered opportunities. There was a previous version of this song, we played it live once or twice. But I decided I didn't like it and rewrote pretty much the whole thing!

Let's Play With Knives
This is my favourite song on the album, it's also the longest track and ends with a fade out and a looping synth hook.

6. What's the best way to support your band?

Either buy a physical copy of the album at https://IDestroy.Bigcartel.com or stream the hell out of the songs at https://cdbaby.lnk.to/WeAreGirls



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview w/ Jennifer "JJ" Leigh ( THE DEVOTCHKAS)

In 1996, three girls from New-York got together to form The Devotchkas . A band that would go on to become one of the most talked about all-girl oï punk of the scene at the time. A time that was long before smartphones and social media, when bands only had web pages on Geocities and Angelfire, which is where we first heard about them. Because in 2001, after Jennifer Leigh, (better known has JJ ) took vocal duties, the band released an iconic album, that was not only our introduction to them, but to how much ass a women can kick when they play badass music. The next year they went on hiatus, and we never heard about them. The whole industry evolved, but for us they remained legendary in their own way.  Fast foward 20 years later, the same line-up that released that iconic album, decided it was time to get back in action. This weekend, the gang is set to play at the C.Y. Fest in Los Angeles, not once, but twice, and even though we can't attend, we couldn't be more exited at the i

THE PHOTO PASS with MIHAELA PETRESCU

When did you first pick up a camera and what motivated you to start photography? I picked up a camera at around 4 years old. My mom did some photography when i was young, so I grew up with a camera in my hands. Did you study or are you self taught? I studied in cinema/video/communications at Dawson College, then I went to Concordia University in the same field. I never actually studied photography but I had a lot of photo classes. Do you remember the first show you ever shot and how it went? My uncle played in bands since I was really young. The first show I shot was my uncle's first show with his new band. I was around 13 years old. The stress was real! I think I had one of those point and shoot cameras. I also remember my first show for a media; it was Septicflesh at Café Campus. How did you know you wanted to do concert photography and what do you love the most about it? The first concert I ever saw was of Cher . I was maybe 8 or 9 years old and I vividly remember watching the

THE 90 BEST SINGLES OF 2022

Alright so here's our final list for 2022. We've discovered so many amazing bands this year but what we enjoy the most is seeing bands that are still active, recording and putting new noise out. A lot of them are releasing singles now, which has become almost a standard considering what the industry has become. It's an awesome way to get your name out there fast, so don't wait to record a full album or even EP. We wanna hear you, so just go ahead and record a song! We'll definitely look for it. So here are 90 songs that came across our radar this year. Featuring some of the most badass women, queers and non-binary people, of course ;) Oh and for those of you who don't have the time to browse through all these links, here is what you were waiting for...our epic 2022 playlist, featuring all our best albums, EPs and singles of the year. Clocking at around 11 hours and presenting 203 bands, we think you'll def find something you like in there. Enjoy! THE playlis